Journal Swap

My friend, Dawn, and I recently finished our second annual journal swap.  We had so much fun the first year that we had to do it again.  We're already planning to do a third swap in the future.  I'm really looking forward to it.

This year, our theme was spirit animals.  For Dawn, it was an owl and for me, it was a fox.  We decided to try a slightly larger journal size than we're used to, exchanged a list of our favorite color combinations and decided what kind of paper we'd like.  Other than that, the rest was a surprise.

For our last swap, I did a mixed media painting on book board for the covers.  I wanted to try something different for this swap.  I decided to make a refillable journal cover.  I drew the pattern myself and needle turn appliqued the journal cover with colorful cotton batik fabrics.  Here's how it turned out:


The photo above shows what the journal cover looks like when it's flat.  The large owl is on the front cover and the baby owl is on the back cover.  I created a coptic stitch handmade, hand bound journal to go in the cover using watercolor paper, drawing paper, cardstock, lined notebook paper, scrapbook papers, and coloring book pages.  The pages are all different sizes, which Dawn was super excited about.

Unbeknownst to me, Dawn had also decided to make my journal refillable.  Last year, the journal she made was spiral bound.  This year, it's on book rings, which you can see in the photo below.


Dawn is such a talented artist.  I love my new journal.  If you're interested in checking out some of her art, here's a link to her blog: click here.  She said she'll be doing a post about the journal swap as well.

I have a blog dedicated to journaling inspiration and tutorials.  If you'd like to check it out, click here.  I'll be adding a series of tutorials for exploring/honoring spirit animals in your journal over the next couple weeks.

Comments

Popular Posts