Round Robin #1 Part One

I'm doing a round robin with a good friend of mine, Vanessa.  If you'd like to see what she created, click here.  We're both using thick chipboard pages for our books.  We decided that with each new page, we would issue a challenge to one another.  We have very different styles, so this will be interesting!

For my first page, I created an intuitive abstract background.  I stenciled, doodled and glazed to my heart's content.  All in all, there are approximately twelve layers in the background alone.



After the background dried, I turned the page this way and that to see if something jumped out at me.  At first, I noticed two eyes and a break, which then drew my attention to the chest/stomach and down to the branch.  I drew around the image I saw with a Faber-Castell Pitt marker.


I deepened the colors in certain areas, such as the eyes, with colored pencils.  I used charcoal blended with zinc white acrylic paint to shade the image and white India ink for highlights.  I also did some more doodling with a gelly roll pen.  The lettering was done with a black posca pen and a white gelly roll pen.


My challenge to Vanessa is to create a background of layered patterns and to pull her focal image out of the background.  Stay tuned for the next round!

Wendy

Comments

Popular Posts