Lotus Faery


I spent last week creating three paintings simultaneously.  The photo above is of the first painting, Lotus Faery.  This painting actually started out as a plaid patterned background with dots over the lines in acrylics.  I painted the background in January, and I couldn't figure out what to do with it.  Suddenly, last week, I saw/felt something emerging from the pattern.  At first I drew the face which somehow feels both alien and familiar.  I painted over the area around the face with a mixture of white gesso and cobalt teal acrylic paint.  It was then that I had a sudden image pop into my head of the lotus flowers and petals.  It was at this point that I took a risk.  I drew in the flowers and petals with a Zig alcohol marker.  It turned out alright though, so that's awesome. The petals were painted with a series of glazes.  I shaded the face with Neocolor 2s blended with zinc white acrylic paint, Faber-Castell Pitt marker in warm grey, and highlights with a white gelly roll pen.  The irises of the eyes and the mouth were done in colored pencils (Prismacolor Premier and Faber-Castell Polychromos) with highlights in white gelly roll pen.  My favorite things about this painting are how she looks so alien yet approachable and the colors/patterns.

Here's a list of all the media I used to create Lotus Faery:
1. Stabilo Marks All pencil in white,
2. Faber-Castell Pitt marker in warm grey 4,
3. Prismacolor Premier colored pencils,
4. Faber-Castell Polychromos colored pencils,
5. Cretacolor Aqua Monolith watercolor pencil in delft blue,
6. White gesso,
7. Golden, Liquitex, Dina Wakley and Jacquard Lumiere acrylic paints,
8. Zig Cartoonist Kurecolor Fine and Brush for Manga alcohol marker in cornflower blue,
9. Caran d'ache Neocolor 2s,
10. Golden acrylic glazing liquid,
11. Sakura Pigma Micron in blue,
12. Liquitex matte gel medium, and
13. Sakura gelly roll pen in white.


I'm going to do at least 2-3 more posts this week, so stay tuned for more art!

Wendy

Comments

Popular Posts